King Rook Swap Move

The “king rook swap move” in chess is called “castling” or the “castling move”. The King moves two squares towards the Rook, and then the Rook jumps over to the other side of the King. The Rook finished up right next to the King.

Rules for Castling

All of the squares between the King and Rook must be empty. Castling towards the King Rook is called “kingside castling” and Castling towards the Queen’s side is called “queenside castling”.

Advanced Castling Rules

There are lots of “advanced castling rules” about the King and Rook. For example, you cannot castle if you are in check (called “castling out of check”).

Related Chess Rules Topics

Read more about these related chess rules, chess puzzles, and other chess tactics and strategies: