King Pawn Openings
King pawn openings are where both players move their King pawn ("e’ pawn) up two squares, to meet each other. The notation is therefore: e4 e5. They are sometimes called “double king pawn openings” for obvious reasons.
Diagram: King Pawn Openings
There are many, many sub-variations of the King pawn openings, with their own names:
- Ruy Lopez
- Giuoco Piano
- Scotch Opening
- Two Knights Defence
- King’s Gambit
- Petrov Defence
- Bishop Opening
- Ponziani Opening
- Four Knights Defence
- Goring Gambit
- Evans Gambit
- Hungarian Defence
- Philidor Defence
- Alapin Opening
There are also many alternative openings for Black instead of playing “1..e5”:
- 1.. d5 … Scandinavian Defence
- 1.. c5 … Sicilian Defence
- 1.. c6 … Caro Kann Defence
- 1.. e6 … French Defence
- 1.. d6 … Pirc Defence
- 1… b6 … Owen Defence
- 1.. g6 … Modern Defence
- 1.. Nf6 … Alekhine Defence
- 1.. Nc6 .. Nimzowich Defence
There are also many alternatives for White instead of playing “1.e4”:
- 1. d4 … Queen Pawn Openings (also very popular)
- 1. c4 … English Opening (not very popular but a good opening)
- 1. Nf3 … Reti Opening (also not very popular, but also good)
- 1. g3 … Modern Attack or King’s Indian Attack
- 1. b3 … Larsen Opening. Playable
- 1. d3 … A beginner move, but can become a King’s Indian Attack
- 1. e3 … A beginner move, likely to become a French Defence Reversed
- 1. f4 .. Bird Opening (playable but different)
- 1. b4 … Orangutan Opening (playable but weird)
- 1. g4 .. Grob Opening (playable but odd)
- 1. Nc3 (Queen’s Knight Attack; unusual but strategically fine)
Some of the starting moves to avoid as White include:
- 1. Nh3 .. Amar Opening (Nh3 opening): not good, bad square for the Knight.
- 1. Na3 .. (Na3 opening) Similarly not good, bad square for the Queen’s Knight.
- 1. h3 … (h3 opening). Not good, waste of time.
- 1. a3 … (Anderssen's Opening) Not good, waste of time.
- 1. f3 … (f3 opening) Not good, waste of time, and weakens your King.
- 1. c3 … Saragossa Opening (c3 opening). Not good, waste of time.
- 1. h4 … Bayonet Attack (h4 opening). Odd rook pawn line.
- 1. a4 … (a4 opening) Odd queen rook pawn line. Waste of time.