The Gruenfeld Defence is an old and well-regarded defence against White’s Queen Pawn openings. It is quite an aggressive opening that involves a kingside fianchetto similar to the King’s Indian. However, unlike the King’s Indian, Black also prevents White from gaining dominance in the center with a pawn chain.
Diagram: Gruenfeld Defence
The Gruenfeld Defence is probably not as popular as the King’s Indian Defence. But it is an extremely playable opening for Black, that probably deserves more popularity than it has.
Variations of the Gruenfeld Defence include:
- Exchange Gruenfeld (cxd5 Nxd4, e5 Nxc3, bxc3)
- Gruenfeld Exchange Sacrifice Variation (with d5!?, Bxa1, Qxa1)
- Classical Exchange Gruenfeld (Bc4)
- Modern Exchange Gruenfeld (Nf3)
- Classical Gruenfeld (with Nf3 and Qb3 dxc4, Qxc4)
- Seville Variation
- Smyslov Gruenfeld (7…Bg4)
- Bf4 Gruenfeld
Related Chess Openings Topics
Read more about these related chess openings, strategies, chess puzzles, and other chess topics: